查看: 4407|回复: 2

[分享] Protect Your CWI Stamp

[复制链接]
jovi-zhu 发表于 2010-2-7 01:47 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
文章分享

Protect Your CWI Stamp
BY LYNDSEY DECKARD
Lyndsey Deckard (Deckard@pbworld.com) is Quality Manager of the Vehicle Division of Parsons Brinckerhoff Transit & Rail Systems, Inc. He is an AWS Senior Certified Welding Inspector, an ASQ Certified Quality Auditor, and a member of the AWS Certification Committee, Examination Question Bank Subcommittee, and Ethics Subcommittee.

In my work I review and audit welding programs, procedures, and documentation all over the world. Through the years, I have noticed two specific areas where manufacturers and AWS Accredited Test Facilities (ATFs) frequently fall short. Both of these areas are extremely important.

The first area is in the proper completion of Procedure Qualification Records (PQRs), Welding Procedure Specifications (WPSs), and Welder Qualification Test Records (WQTRs). We need to emphasize proper use and generation of each of these documents in our CWI training. The Examination Question Bank Subcommittee of the AWS Certification Committee has recently increased the number of questions on this subject in the CWI examination. It is important, for example, to understand the difference between filler metal classification and filler metal specification.

The second area of particular concern to me is the use of the CWI stamp. In the past, a CWI was issued a stamp when he or she gained that status by successfully completing the examination. If the CWI Certification was revoked or simply allowed to expire, the individual still had what appeared to be a valid CWI stamp and no one was the wiser if the former CWI continued using it, even though AWS did not authorize that use. In the past, I personally observed a case where a WPS had been used after someone obliterated the original information, except the CWI stamp, with correction fluid, and new, different welding information was entered. The doctored document was faxed to me as a valid WPS. The American Welding Society addressed this situation in 2006 when it began issuing red inking pads and stamps that included expiration dates. Today, it is easy to tell if a stamp has expired and if you are looking at an original stamped document or a copy.

Most recently, while working in China, I encountered two instances in which PQRs, WPSs, and WQTRs were riddled with incorrect information. In one case wrong. The second instance occurred at another facility. I reviewed some welding documents that again contained several errors. When I questioned the CWI whose stamp was on the documents about each error, he obviously knew that each was incorrect and why. He stated that the documentation was routinely produced by another person, whom he trusted and believed to be knowledgeable. The CWI had then stamped the documents as if he had reviewed them, although, in fact, he had not actually reviewed the information. In both of these cases, the result was incorrect welding information documentation containing the stamp of a CWI.

Here’s what’s important about this: If you did not personally produce or carefully review and approve the information, do not put your CWI stamp on it. Your stamp and both of the stamps in the situations I related here look just like mine except for the name and number. Every time someone misuses or carelessly uses a CWI stamp, it reflects poorly on every CWI and diminishes the respect given t ification. Therefore, the value of your stamp and mine is lowered. AWS offers a class on proper use and completion of these documents. If you are ot entirely confident that you have it right, take the class. It will
count as continuing education units toward your next nine-year CWI renewal. We have all worked hard to gain the ecognition that comes with being a Certified Welding Inspector. We must also be diligent and work hard to maintain its value and our integrity.

[ 本帖最后由 jovi-zhu 于 2010-2-7 01:48 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 1经验 +4 化工币 +6 收起 理由
wisoner + 4 + 6 很好的文章,感谢分享

查看全部评分

qldch 发表于 2010-2-7 08:09 | 显示全部楼层
不仅CWI检验员如此,任何技术荣誉头衔都应珍惜额。但目前技术人员很多浮夸,不能深入现场、看待问题浅尝辄止,哎

评分

参与人数 1化工币 +4 收起 理由
wisoner + 4 感谢交流

查看全部评分

回复 支持 反对